lgbt computer training and tuition
I’ve called this page ‘lgbt computer training’ because it is computer training (or tuition) aimed at LGBTQI+ people and our allies. You get me, an out cis gay man, who is going to be supportive of YOU. As part of any work I do, I work inclusively and come with a wide range of experiences working with people who have a wide range of ages, backgrounds and identities.
Although there might be a formal difference between tuition and training, I’m using the terms interchangeably. Tuition is often for individuals one to one, and training is often in groups. But I’ve been employed as a trainer who also sometimes coached and provided training on a 1-1 basis. Tuition is often less formal, working from where the student / learner is coming from, but most of my training courses are fun, participatory and are planned and paced to help ensure that participants understand the issues covered.
With a large amount of experience of delivering training and educational courses I can help you gain more skills and increase your confidence levels. You’ll be emailing, searching, blogging, shopping, Skyping and more.
If you have a desktop PC, iPad, tablet, laptop or smart phone and need some guidance, I can help. Whether it’s sending emails, finding information from the internet, online shopping or something else, I’ll help you learn the things YOU need in the comfort of your own home, often remotely. And at your own pace. And I can easily talk you through setting up your computer for remote help and training, tuition and IT support.
1-1 support, so you get maximum attention. Training / tutoring using your PC and software, so I can help you to set-up and personalise the various options on your computer. Tell me what you want to achieve, and I’ll help you achieve it, step by step.
I am available to LGBTQI+ individuals and community groups.
- No need to travel, I come to you at home (or work)
- Some tuition can take place remotely. No need to leave the house, or for me to travel to you!
- One-to-one, hands on, practical tuition
- Patient and understanding of all abilities
- No technical jargon – lessons in plain English
- Learn on your own computer or tablet, at your own pace, with a trainer (me!) who has worked with a variety of LGBTQI+ groups and lots of LGBTQI+ people one-to-one
- Learn only what matters and is relevant to you
- Friendly, respectful and non judgemental
- Simply relax, learn and enjoy yourself!
Tuition sessions can supply you with a range of skills. e.g.
- Computer courses for complete beginners
- Getting to grips with your iPad or tablet
- Staying safe online
- Using BBC iPlayer, All 4 (the UK’s biggest free streaming service), YouTube, and other streaming services
- Everything you needed to know about shopping online
- Keeping in touch with family and friends with Zoom, Skype, Facebook or Twitter
- Getting to grips with E-books
- Using Zoom etc
If you are interested in arranging some tuition or training, please contact John.
Why not buy a two or three hour lesson for a loved one? From a complete beginner or someone who has some knowledge but would like to learn more, my 1-1 tuition will help them become more confident using their laptop. It can be as basic as covering, e.g:
- Switch on/off your device and use the keyboard, opening and closing files and apps
- How to use the Internet – use a search engine to find information e.g. hobbies, health, YouTube etc.
- Learn how to get remote help over the internet, so that you can be shown how to do stuff on your device (PC, laptop, etc)
- Staying safe and feel confident on the Internet – using password security and taking precautions against viruses
- Use apps and services on the Internet,e.g. booking train tickets, holidays, buying securely online
- Improving your health online, NHS website, local council and government services, and secure payment methods
- Use email to stay in touch with family and friends, or to contact organisations.
For office based / hybrid workers or those with a little more knowledge, I also offer one to one training and small group sessions covering PowerPoint, Word, Outlook. Or the open source equivalents from LibreOffice.
Contact John for more details or to make an appointment.
Have a look at my new tips page. Contact me if you’d like to request a new tip.